Friday 20 December 2013

Directions Unit - 4 minute Drama Ideas

A couple of week into starting the Directions Unit, I had a couple ideas that I could use for my 4-minute dramatic film. Now as I chose loneliness I wanted to create a storyline that brought that theme out. Here are my ideas that I came up with.

Idea One

A young woman around 22 years old, lost her family a couple of years ago to a car accident. She meets up with a friend of the family to collect a package from them. The package ends up being a small box full of family photos that she thought was lost.
This idea was an obvious way of showing loneliness as this character feels lonely for not having her family there anymore. I do like how this story had a touch at the end, like a sense of happiness.

Idea Two

A guy is depressed and meets up with a stranger to collect a package from them. The package ends up being a gun and the guy happens to decide whether to commit suicide or not.
This idea wasn't one I was fully of doing as there were one particular part that would be hard to film. The hard part would be the gun scene, I don't own a fake or real gun nor does anyone I know, so I would find a hard time finding one. Also when using a gun in filming, depending if its outside or not you have to let certain people know otherwise people could get the wrong idea and think that its for real reasons and not filming purpose. I wasn't a 100% sure with this idea, but did like the fact that the depression was the thing that was making him seclude himself and be alone.

Idea Three

A young woman, 22 years old and has diabetes. She asks to meet her best friend and takes a package from her, which happens to be her diabetic medication. When she gets home she has a whole packets of pills in her hand and decides whether or not to end her life.
This idea was the one I was drawn to out of the three, so I decided I would explore into this story.

In class we were put into our themed groups to help each other with our ideas. In my group there is Andy, Lex, Ren and Sei-Kai. I decided to talk about my third idea as that was the one I preferred the most. When I got to talking about my idea the group were very helpful. Ren mentioned that instead of my character having diabetes that she could have depression and thats what leads to her loneliness as she secludes herself from everyone. I feel that Ren made a great point and it would actually make sense if my character suffered with depression as it helps with her back story as well.

Final Idea

A young woman, 22 years old is suffering with depression. She had the perfect life, until she got sacked from her job a couple of months ago. Since then she had been diagnosed with depression. She meets up with her best friend and collects a package off her, the package happens to be her prescription depression medication. When she gets home she grabs a hand full of medication and decides whether to end her life or not.

I'm quite happy with my final idea and feel that I will be able to make this happen. I have a rough idea on how I want the characters to look like and have a rough back story for them. I've decided that i'm going to audition people for the two main characters, as well as auditioning for extras. Now I need to look into my characters more and then I can start putting castings up.

No comments:

Post a Comment