Wednesday 14 May 2014

Critical Reflection

Unfortunately due to time and having only a couple of days to edit, we weren't able to complete our documentary in time for the deadline. We handed our project in without most of the commentary, however, Charlie was able to finish editing the commentary and we now have our completed documentary on YouTube. The main reason for not completing our project on time was due to the interview arrangements, it was hard times and dates due to their busy schedules.

On the day of our rough cut deadline, due to not being in, Sophie then had to start editing the footage from the beginning. That day we also typed up all of our other transcripts and highlighted what parts we thought would work in the documentary. While I was editing a transcript Sophie would edit the footage we needed from each interview. I feel that if me and Sophie didn't take over the editing process, that half of the documentary wouldn't have been completed.

There were quite a few disagreements within our group. I felt at times this project wasn't a team effort as individual preferences were added instead of what we had all discussed together.

In this project I was the producer and director as I contacted the charity, got a case study and contacted the church for permission for filming. I also did most of the paperwork and scheduled what days and times the interviews took place. I also offered and took out the camera equipment on multiple occasions, even though it wasn't in my job description. On the last week before handing in the project I stayed at the studios until late as well as going to the Rochester campus on the weekend before.

Overall I am quite happy with our documentary, even though there were parts that I would have changed, such as lack of cutaways that related to her story i.e. there was a man playing a guitar, when Louise was talking about a weekend away, where she went and done activities. Personally I would have liked to instead have a picture of Louise doing the activities or even pictures of the other children from the charity doing the activities.

Even though I liked the ending to our documentary I would have preferred it if the main case study Louise met up with her old mentor Holly, as I felt that would have concluded the story perfectly. Originally I tried to make this happen and contacted both Louise and Holly over periods of weeks to meet up at the same time, but due to both work schedules being busy it became very hard. At one point both Holly and Louise were free, but due to Holly's daughter being ill, the filming of the meeting was then cancelled. I did really like the music choice, that Charlie had chosen for the beginning and the ending, I feel that it went along with the tone of the story.

In the future I hope to get a more cutaways, that have a relation to the story. Also to plan and be more organised so that I am able to complete a project in time for the deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment