Thursday 17 October 2013

Storytelling Unit - Research

After coming up with my project idea I really wanted to research into it, to make sure it was as realistic as possible. I was looking through films that had a relationship where a young boy or girl wanted to meet their dad who they had never met.


The first film that came to my mind was 'The Parent Trap' starring Lindsey Lohan. This film is about two girls, Annie and Hallie, who meet at a summer camp and find out they are twins. Hallie lives with her dad and Annie lives with her mum. While at camp they come up with a plan to swap places so that they could meet their other parent.

In this film I focus on Annie's character. She is the most similar to the young boy, Luke in my story. Her background story is roughly the same as she lives with her mum and only knows that her dad looks like form a photo. the only difference is Annie's dad knows she's alive, as her and her sister were separated when their parents divorced, where as in my story the dad didn't know that his son was alive until recently. I really thought this would be a good film to look into how the young girls reacted when meeting their parents.


Another example is from a character from 'Eastenders'. Dexter was abandoned by his dad when he was a couple of months old and was brought up by his mum. Dexter has never had any interest on meeting his dad after what he had done. One day his dad, Sam turns up wanting to get to know his son. Dexter instantly refuses. After Sam stays for a couple of weeks, he gets close with Dexter's mum, Ava and decides to try to get along with him for his mums sake. He starts to get close and accepts him as his dad again.

I liked how Sam was the one who wanted to have a relationship with Dexter first. By looking at this story line I was able to get a good look on the dads point of view on finding his son for my story.

I'm happy that both my examples were able to help me for both the dad and the young boys perspective on how they come to find each other and reacting in my meeting scene. It's good to look into what other writers come up with to make the story's believable and realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment