Sunday 19 January 2014

Directions Unit - Ophelia Research 2


While thinking about my story idea I wanted to make sure that I looked into every detail in the image. The first part that I wanted to figure out was the era of this image, to help me with what I could include as sounds. The overall decor came across to me from something in the 70s, but I still wasn't sure if that was the correct era. Some objects in the image would help classify that such as; the vinyl record player, the pill jar, the outfit the woman is wearing, the people in the pictures by the staircase, etc. but there was one thing that I looked into that threw the image's era off.

When I was looking at the table on the left side of the picture, the red book on top caught my eye. I was able to zoom into the image enough to get a rough look at the author and the title of the book.
I found out that it was a book called 'Inner Harbour', written by Nora Roberts.

Here's a bit about Nora Roberts.

She is a bestselling novelist in America, and was born in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She is best known for her romance novels and has written more than 209 of them. She came to fame in the 1980's and continues to write novels today. Her pen names include Nora Roberts, J.D. Robb, Jill March and Sarah Hardesty.

I was able to look at all the books she had written and found out that 'Inner Harbor' was published in 1999.

This image 'Ophelia' was part of Gregory Crewdson's Twilight series and was taken in 2001.
Which would be around near enough the same time the book came out. So to answer all my questions this image is based around the late 90's early 2000's. Even though this information might not seem like it helped a lot the information I was able

Here is the book cover of 'Inner Harbor' and about the story.


'The third instalment of the lives and loves of three brothers on the windswept shores of the Chesapeake Bay and the highly anticipated close to the story, finds Philip, the last unwed Quinn brother, hugging his high-powered advertising job and caring for his young adopted brother Seth. When Dr. Sybill Griffin shows up in the sleepy town of St. Christopher, Philip makes room in his hectic schedule for the mysterious woman who stirs his senses and threatens his heart. And while Sybill can't deny her own growing feelings for the charismatic Quinn, the secret connection to Seth that she hides may destroy any chance of the two young lovers have at happiness'

I looked into the book and started to think that maybe this novel by Nora may have helped Gregory Crewdson create this image/story basing it on one of the characters in this book. The woman in the book, Dr Sybill Griffin, falls in love with Quinn who lives by the shore. The reasons why I though this all connected was because, 1) the woman is laying in water, 2) she has pills on the table and 3) she doesn't look dead in the image only unhappy due to her not being able to be with the person she loves (the male character in the book).After finding out this information, it helped me create an idea that I could use for my sound story.My idea is to tell a story about a woman who lost her fiancĂ© in the forces and has a mental break down. She runs herself a bath and leaves it to over run causing it to flood upstairs and downstairs and then lies in the water.I thought this might be a good idea as it's kind of similar to the book in the way she loves someone but in my idea the man dies and this causes her to have a mental breakdown because she feels she can't live without him. Also because most people who are doing the same image are killing this woman character off and I wanted to do something different and make it look like she's alive but just gone mad.

1 comment:

  1. that is a very detailed piece of research, very interesting find!

    ReplyDelete