Sunday 19 January 2014

Directions Unit - Researching Sound Effects

When I decided on what idea I was going to do I decided to look into what type of sound effects I would need.

Here are a couple of the websites that I used.

Soundbible.com
Soundjay.com
youtube.com - converted the youtube videos into MP3 using youtube converter

There were a couple of sound effects that I struggled to find online, so instead of constantly looking for them I decided to create the sounds myself. I looked into foley artists, as I thought it may help me with some ideas on how to re-create certain sounds.

Here is some information on Foley Artists

Foley artists reproduce sounds effects that are later added in to films, video in post-production. These reproduced sounds can be anything from footsteps to squeaky doors. Foley artists are quite important as they help create a sense of reality in a scene and can help with covering background noises and other unwanted sounds captured on set, i.e. passing traffic, etc.

Here is a video to show how what type of work Foley Artists do.


This animation is a good example of foley artists work. This video shows the scenes as well as what objects/items the artists used to create each sound.

After researching into foley artists I created one of the sounds myself of someone walking down carpeted stairs. This was very hard to find online as most sounds of people walking down the stairs were on wooden floor and it just didn't sound right. I used my recorder on my phone to record me walking down my stairs. The overall result actually turned out better than what I thought. There was no echoing in the background luckily, which can happen if your recording sounds using your phone.

I have definitely learnt that if you need sound effects, that you don't always have to rely on websites and that you can actualy create them yourselves. Sometimes re-creating the sounds yourself may even end up sounding better than the sound effects you find online. There are also many youtube videos and websites that can help give you ideas on how to create different sound effects that you may be looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment