Thursday 16 January 2014

Directors Unit - Preparation For Auditions

When I started getting applications and replies back from people who were interested for auditioning, I was ecstatic! I was getting people who were actually interested in my project and that were happy about not being paid (which was a big issue for me, as I didn't think people would apply). I contacted each person to give them more information just in case they were sure about what they were auditioning for.

When I confirmed the dates and times for the auditions, I wanted to make sure that I had most information confirmed as these people needed to know exactly when the shoots are, how long the day would be and also travel information. I also wanted to get each person to sign to say that I could film their auditions and then once they're not needed anymore that they will be deleted. Also so that I could use it towards this blog, if I wanted to.

Signing Form



First of all I wanted to make sure that I had an applicant form, so that I had key information about them, i.e. if they had any health problems that I should know about, etc. I made this application form by thinking what were the key pieces of information I needed and instead of asking them constant questions. I'm happy with my applicant form and will probably keep this as guidelines for future projects, depending if I cast again (which will probably happen).

Applicant Form


A couple of days before my audition I sent an email out to all the people who were interested, with their scheduled times. None of the people had a problem with the times I gave them which worked out well, as it saved moving times about. Here are the list of the people who came to my audition over the two days.

Talent Names and Audition Times


I decided that it was a good idea to make notes for myself as there were quite a few points that I definitely wanted to go through with each person, i.e. shooting updates, information about the character they're playing, etc. I'm glad that I had notes with me as there were times where I would go blank on what I was going to say next.

Notes For Me



When I spoke to my lecturer about the auditions, he told me to hand a note in to reception on each day so that they can contact me when each person arrived. Also so that they would know who will be entering the building, in case of a fire hazard. The receptionist was very cooperative and didn't mind at all.

Note Handed To Reception



As well as having notes with me, I had a couple of copies of the script so that I could show them where their roles took place and also get them to act out a part from the script. I felt this helped with the people who auditioned with speaking parts, as I was able to give a copy to them as well as give one to one of my helpers to act out the other part.

I'm glad that I was organised and had these forms ready for the auditions. If I didn't have the applicant form and my notes, I would have definitely forgot to ask important questions as well as give important information at the audition.

No comments:

Post a Comment