Wednesday 19 February 2014

Directions Unit - Filming 2

After filming the first time, I had to wait a couple of weeks before I could re-shoot due to the lack of cameras that were available as well as who could help me out as crew on the shoot.

Unfortunately I had a lot more trouble on this second shoot than the first.

1) Two actors dropped out, due to travelling.

2) I couldn't find anyone available to help out as crew.

3) I had to figure out a date between my actors work schedule as well as my studies.

After panicking for a couple of days, I decided that I would have to film and direct, so that I am able to get my footage and have long enough time to edit it before the deadline. Luckily my friend out of uni, Sinead was able to help out by holding the boom and helping out with sound. She was also very honest when I showed back the footage, which I appreciate. If Sinead wasn't there I would have probably not been able to shoot my film for another couple of weeks.

The two actors who had dropped out were, the old lady and the male extra. I completely understood why they dropped out, due to no expenses being payed (as they lived quite far away), however I was able to convince my lovely nan to fill in the position of the old lady. The male extra role wasn't really important for my story anyway, but I decided to keep the female extra in (as the male and female extra originally were going to play a couple).

I spoke to my lecturer, Simon about what was going on and he was able to help me choose a date to do the filming as well as confirm that I could film and direct at the same time due to my circumstances.

When it came to the day of filming it actually went better then what I expected, the weather was overcast and I just about missed a shower of rain. The shoots only took a couple of hours, which is quite good as I had to film about four scenes each day. 

Here is an example on what I filmed over the three days.

Day 1

I filmed the indoor scenes as well as where the main character leaves her home.

Day 2

I filmed the walking scenes outside with just the main character.

Day 3

I filmed the meeting scene between the two main characters as well as the second characters intro.

Overall the shoots went great and we ended up finishing a lot earlier than what I expected. The cast were very cooperative and I gave them a box of chocolates and a thank you card each, as I was so grateful that they didn't mind not being paid as well as helping out on the shoots. I'm quite happy that I was able to fit my filming within three days, although I probably could have split filming into two days instead. In the future I hope not to take the camera so many times out and try to shoot what I want the first time round.

No comments:

Post a Comment