Monday 24 February 2014

Directions Unit - Props

Medication

Indoor scene

For the medication, I was able to use the outer packaging from someone I know. I looked at the size of the pills for Amitriptyline, and went to a savers store in town to see if there was any cheap medication that had the same tablet shape to create realism to the story. Luckily I was able to find some aspirin for 19p and decided to use them. I popped the pills out into a bowl so that I could film the left over packaging, and then when I needed the pills for the scene I then tipped the pills out into her hands. I wanted to make sure that Fiona (actress playing the main character) didn't actually try and get in any of the tablets in her mouth, as we were going to take multiple shots. After a couple of seconds we figured out that if she closed her mouth right before the camera moved up to see the pills moving towards her mouth that it would give the impression that her character was actually taking the tablets.

Outdoor

For the meeting scene where the two main characters exchange a package, I wanted to package to be in an envelope as it will the audience question what is inside that envelope, i.e. money, drugs, etc.

Here is an image of the package and the medication used for the different scenes.


Phone


For the phone scenes I was able to use Fiona's actual phone. I was originally going to use my own phone, but Fiona's phone seemed more practical for her character.

Digital clock


In the opening and ending shots of the film I decided to use a close up of a digital clock. I felt that because in a later scene the main character checks the time again but this time on a watch, that it would be a good idea to use a variety of different items.

Clothes


Im my description of the main character she is a bit messy due to her being down and not caring as much, so I thought it would be interesting to show this by having some clothes scattered on the floor.

Pictures


To make the bedroom a bit more homey, I thought it would be a good idea to have some family pictures around the room, i.e. on the chest of drawers and bookcase. I feel that this shows that the character still loves her family, even though her parents won't speak to her anymore due to her moving in with her boyfriend months earlier.

Plates and cups


I thought by having some 'used' plates and glasses on the side, will show how down hill the character has gone, due to her depression and that she doesn't case about the way she's living anymore.

I think these props helped a bit with what the main character is like, i.e. messy. By having the little touches of the used plates and the photos on the side, made the room look like that she's been there for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment