Tuesday 19 November 2013

Storytelling Unit - Filming progress 3

Filming the third time round went brilliant.  I wanted to be prepared with these shots as I wasn't as much the second time round and I think that time contributed to me re-doing these shots. I was able to speak to Fergus, our technician, about the my shots.

The only time that was availed as soon as to get the camera out was Wednesday 13th and Thursday 14th November. I booked the camera out even though I had a slight problem. My brother who plays Luke in my film has school during the week and as it's coming up to winter it gets dark just after 4.
Two if the shots I needed could be filming in the evening there was one shot I was  worried about. One of the main shots I needed was of my brother sitting on his bed and putting a piece of paper away. The problem with this shot was right behind him is a window.

I spoke to Fergus about whether I could film in the evening and then edit it to be daylight outside. The two different options he gave me were that, Incould use lighting and put a coloured gel onto the light to make the lighting look like its daytime. The only problem with this was, I wouldn't be able to take out any lighting as we haven't had any workshops, also I didn't feel comfortable enough using it anyway as I haven't used lighting in filming before (only natural or lamps, etc).

The second option I had was to use a green screen, and that first did I could create animated lighting to shine through the window to make it look more natural. The only thing Fergus mentioned was that it can be quite tricky using green screen for the first time and that it can take some time to do. I thought about it and decided not to go with this as I wasn't very confident on using this at the moment but also I only had two weeks to completely edit and hand in my work. I thought about it and decided the only way I can work around this situation is to film early in the morning before my brother goes to school and in the evening when he finishes so then I have both shots and then can decide which one looks better.

I filmed both of the shots and the one in the evening was too dark and you could tell that it was dark outside as well. I then filmed it early the next morning, even though it may have been a bit bright it was a much better shot to the evening shot. Hopefully as my first part of my script is in black and white the bright lighting might not show as much, otherwise if will have to see if there's ways of editing it out.

One of the other shots I was having problems with was a close up of a photo. I was struggling with focusing the camera properly when I had it up close to the photo the second time I filmed. Fergus said to me to next time to turn the macro on and then I should be able to have a focused shot. I was able to shoot this shot in two takes, the macro worked really well and I'm glad I was able to figure this problem out for future projects and shoots.

I've learnt that by filming my first film to never to use family members unless you are desperate and they AGREE to do it. Especially if their your sibling as they might take it as a joke and get stressed out more easily with you. Also to sort out the lighting and set before filming and that it's ok if you don't get fantastic shots when you first film.

I definitely know that camerawork is something that I'm not interested in doing at the moment. Maybe in time when I use the camera more I might change my mind. Even though filming is a tiring and stressful job I kind of liked that and felt pretty much in control most of the time and professional. Getting the camera out multiple times and re-shooting happens in the filming industry. I can't wait to get into the profession even though it might take a while to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment