Saturday 8 November 2014

Essay: Fiction Adaptation

For this essay we had to choose one out of the three questions given and answer it with relevant examples.

I chose question 1:

'Discuss the view that "with a successful adaptation, the original work is transformed into something new and different, although retaining many traces of what it was formerly" with reference to at least one text adapted for broadcast on television.'





I decided to do a Jane Austen adaptation as I am familiar with her books and some adaptations. I decided to choose the novel 'Emma', as that was a book I had most recently read and found quite interesting.

I started to research and found that there were quite a few of 'Emma' adaptations to choose from, I decided to compare the novel with the TV series 2009, as well as talk about the movie Clueless, as that was a modernised film about Emma.




After speaking to my lecturer, she said that I seemed to be focusing on 'Emma' too much, so we discussed that I would talk about the TV movie version of 'Emma' and how that is quite similar to the original text and then bring in a different adaptation of 'Moll Flanders' by Daniel Dafoe and discuss how that was adapted to a more modern way.

Even though I've had a hard time figuring out what to talk about for this essay after speaking to my lecturer, I now have a better idea of what i'm going to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment