Sunday 23 November 2014

Work Experience: 'Take Me Out' Runner

I was given a great opportunity to work as a runner, on the ITV show 'Take Me Out'.

I had previously worked on Take Me Out as a stand in last year, so I roughly knew the set and layout of the studios.

Job Role

- Stock up dressing rooms
- Make teas and coffee's for the gallery area every hour, I.e. the producer, director, lighting and sound
- Stock up food in gallery area
- Fill up the tea and coffee station for the crew and girls area

I worked along side Stevie Parker who is the studio runner, and Julia Hardwell, studio resources manager. they both gave me little tasks to do around the studio.

At first it was a bit daunting as there are different corridors to go to certain places, however luckily I was able to quickly learn the routes and was able to get on with my tasks.

When I wasn't needed to do a job, I was on the computer in the studio resources office, and was able to do some blog work.

The most stressful thing about being a runner for me was the tea and coffee runs. I made sure I took a notepad and pen with me, so that I wouldn't forget/mess up orders.

When I did my first tea and coffee run by myself, I got the orders and went to a tea station to make the drinks. While making the drinks, I was filling one cup and forgot to turn the water off, so it ended up overflowing and soaking the whole table, including a bit of production paperwork.
I then dropped two drinks on the floor on the way back to the gallery, from trying to open the door and then I ended up giving someone the wrong drink.

As the day went on there were less orders, it definitely got easier once I knew what I was doing. I even started to remember who had what.

Stevie, Julia, the crew and the girls were very friendly around set and I definitely had a great work experience, even though I messed up a little bit at the beginning. It's certainly a story I will laugh about in the future.

I'm glad that I can officially add my role as a runner to my CV, hopefully I will be able to work on more shows in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment